Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Opportunism knocks

I've just angrily binned an invitation from the Professional Conractors' Guild.

I'm a PCG member, and I've been very happy with them. If you, like me, work as an IT contractor in the UK you'll find they offer an excellent and valuable range of services. I routinely recommend them to colleagues. So -what did they do to annoy me?

They invited me to their tenth birthday celebration.

For which I would have had to don a DJ and pay them £60.

Why on earth would they think I'd want to do that?

I'm glad they have been going for a while, but not glad enough to fork out £60. Even worse, I'd have to spend the evening talking to other IT contractors - and we'd all be wearing dinner jackets.

If the economy had been booming I'd just have tossed the invitation in the bin, but with things as they are the invitation was about as welcome as an invitation to play a round of golf with Fred the Shred. (I assume he plays golf, on the grounds that he must be good at something.)

So, PCG: I won't be joining in your narcissistic celebration, and please don't waste my membership fees on promoting events like this in future.

No comments: